Five Elements of a Successful Follow-Up Email
by Susan Friedmann, SPICE Magazine, Issue 1 JUN/JUL 09
The show is over but your work has just begun. The end of the show is not a destination; rather it’s just one stop on your sales journey. You’ve made a great impression with your prospects, now is the time to ensure you reinforce that positive feeling by sending a customised follow-up email. Here’s what makes a successful post-show email message.
1. Thank the customer for coming by your stand, and name the trade show. The more specific your email, the more personal it will seem.
2. Offer them a reason to open this email – and the next, and the next one after that. Whether you include something amusing, a quiz, or a few useful business tips, your customers are more likely to open and read emails if you engage them with content.
3. Send different welcome emails to prospective, new, and established customers. Changing a sentence or paragraph to reflect the customer’s status can vastly increase the effectiveness of your message.
4. Use the information you gathered at the show to tailor emails. Simply put, if you send customised emails, you’ll have a powerful edge on your competitors.
5. Confirm they’ve agreed to receive email, and offer an opt-out link on every email. Without it, you can annoy potential customers and prompt them to report your email as spam. If they do opt-out, send a short ‘apologies for any inconvenience’ message. You want to leave the door open for future communication.
Many companies will be spending more money this year on email. Make yours stand out!